Saturday, March 23, 2013

Text Talk: Week 1

Well now that my bracket has gone totally tits up, (thanks Gonzaga) I figured it would be a good time to start my new weekly literary post. My life now won't be so consumed with March Madness, I can focus on getting back to some reading.

Ever since I went to Powell's Books last weekend, I've been in a little bit of a slump. I was on a roll for a while, catching up to the 80 book pace I set for myself at the beginning of the year (I'm currently 7 books behind schedule...). I thought going to Powell's would get the juices flowing and give me some things to really tear through. Wrong. I've sat on my hands the last week, flirting with the first few pages of Paper Towns by John Green but really not getting anywhere with it. It wasn't until I checked today's mail where I got a lovely package which contained the third novel in the Vampire Academy series, Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead, that I got really excited. I'm about 30 pages in right now and it's just and addicting as the first two.


Now I'm not going to claim that this is really an academically stimulating, earth shattering read, but they're fast paced, have a kiss ass heroine and are totally mindless, perfect to propel me out of the rut I'm in. On Goodreads, I've given the first two novels 4 out of 5 stars, which is a lot more than I had ever anticipated giving them. I'm kind of ashamed I like them as much as I do, honestly. The covers are so campy and the subject matter (vampires) is so over done, but there's something that keeps me coming back for more. Not to sound pompous, but I imagine people who like Gossip Girl or Pretty Little Liars would also be attracted to this series and somehow I fall into that as well.

I keep hearing the series of seven books falls off after the third one, but I haven't read anything yet to steer me away. So that's what I've been reading this week, I look forward to another update next week! Until then, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment