Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Hairy Situation

As I said in a previous post, I'm no beauty guru. I find it tiring trying out product after product with less than impressive results. Over the past year though, I have tried a few different hair product lines I thought I would share about. I'm coming to the end of two of the three bottles and for people who are hair conscious like I am, I thought I would give an attempt at a review. Enjoy!

Product: Macadamia Natural Oil

Pros: The smell of the conditioner is Devine. Like I could eat it, it smells that good. Like a tropical vanilla delight. The conditioner also leaves my hair so smooth and manageable after I use it. 

Cons: The shampoo doesn't lather enough! I have to dump tons of it into my hand when I first start using it and most times I have to add more to get the job done. I don't even usually wash the bulk of my hair (I only condition the ends) so I'm less than impressed about the amount I have to use to get the result I want. Also, the pot of deep conditioner smells like the cheap Tresemme hairspray. It works well, but all day I'm walking around smelling the harsh hairspray scent. I had purchased this product originally because of Elle Fowler on YouTube because it seems like she only picks some of the best products, but I don't think this is something I would repurchase.

Overall Rating: C+

Product: Wen by Chaz Dean

Pros: After the first use, my hair was silky and amazingly smooth. The scent of Almond Mint is very pleasant and doesn't linger too much on your hair throughout the day. 

Cons: You have to use A LOT of product. Like if I had the pump on this bottle, they recommend using 16(!!!!) pumps!!! This is a non-lathering shampoo/conditioner combo that came along with a whole set of other products that I haven't used. After the initial use, every use afterwards have left my hair looking greasy and stringy. I, like I'm sure millions of others, have seen the infomercials and thought this was going to be a solid purchase. After my experiences with this product, I asked Google why it leaves me looking like a grease monkey and apparently this is a problem many others have had. Some recommended that I switch to a different blend, that this one might be too heavy for my hair, but I don't think I'm going to be testing any others out. 

Overall Rating: F

Product: Alterna Caviar Recovery Instant Repair Shampoo and Conditioner




















Pros: This is the most lathery shampoo I have ever encountered. It's amazing.  You barely need any shampoo in your hand to get a bubbly head of squeaky clean delight. The smell is light and charming, a lemony herbal scent which leaves your hair smelling sweet all day long. The conditioner is just as lovely and leaves your hair tangle free and soft.

Cons: I like to think I'm a fairly intelligent person. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to close these containers. From the picture above, you can see the metallic portion of the bottle which is actually the bottom, thus making the product sit at the bottom of the container making for easier dispensing. Supposedly you are supposed to be able to twist the bottom closed to make for easy travel, but since I've had these around Christmas, I haven't been able to take them anywhere but my bathroom. Total bummer.

I think I would purchase this brand again, but maybe try a different mixture. For $32 per bottle, I think I expected something a little better, but maybe that's just because I have the most difficult frizzy thin hair ever created. Who knows. The search must go on!

Overall Rating: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment