Thursday, May 9, 2013

Text Talk: Week 5

It's been a couple of week since I last updated you all with what I've been reading and purchasing. It's taken a while to readjust after coming back from a semi-vacation. I will say that I didn't get as many books read as I had hoped I would, but that's because I was too busy exploring Orlando! With this last weekend being as sunny as it was down here in Astoria though, I had plenty of porch sitting time to kick back and relax with some good reads.

Title: Last Sacrifice
Author: Richelle Mead
Genre: YA Paranormal
Pages: 594

Reaction: Okay, so I loved this series, like if I can get over the embarrassment of saying the words "Vampire Academy", then I would tell everyone (who likes paranormal YA) to read this. I do have to say that I was a little disappointed by this last book though. I think my main complaint is that towards the end of the series, it started suffering from "Twilight-itis" meaning that there was MAJOR love triangle action occurring, and as it was with Twilight, my "team" didn't win! (Still Team Jacob.) I finished this book on the flight to Orlando, and I sat there thinking after I closed the cover, "That's it? That's all?". Again though, I'd still give the entire collection of books a 4/5 stars. I enjoyed the experience of reading them, they are total low brow entertainment, but easy to divulge in, none the less!

Title: The Princess Bride
Author: William Goldman
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 398

Reaction: So everyone knows this is a huge cult classic. When I was younger, I knew people that were OBSESSED with this film, but I never got it! In Olympia where I grew up, we always had a summer film series in the park, and Princess Bride was a movie that was always shown, and always cheered at! I tried watching it on a couple different occasions, and I just couldn't get into it. I thought, now that I'm older, maybe I'll understand it a little bit better. Nope, still don't. I thought the writing was wonderful, I thought the intro by William Goldman was even better, and yes, I was duped into believing there was actually an author called S. Morgenstern, but this book just didn't resonate with me. I thought Buttercup was selfish and irritating, but Westly redeemed her. The supporting characters brought humor and interest to the story, but it wasn't enough for me to rate this book higher than 3 stars. Am I missing something??

Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Genre: YA Dystopian 
Pages: 441

Reaction: I am about 100 pages away from finishing this book. I always seem to do a running tally in my head of where I think a book is at during the reading experience. I've wavered between a 3 and 4 through the entirety of the book. I have a friend that highly recommended this to me, so I had to pick it up. At first, all I could think about was this book is exactly like Uglies by Scott Westerfield. Once teenagers in this world reach a certain age, they have a surgery that changes the course of their life forever (just like Uglies). As I have read further in the book, the similarities have ended and at this point I'm looking forward to reading the next installment in this series. More on it next week.

Books Added to the Library This Week:

So when I started writing this week's edition of Text Talk, I thought I wasn't going to have very many books that I added to my library since last time I wrote... Wrong. As I started going through my Goodreads account, I somehow added SIX books to the library!! I was flabbergasted. 

Title: The Baker's Daughter
Author: Sarah McCoy
Genre: Historical Fiction
History Behind My Choice: This book was recommended to me by Goodreads after I finished the Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani. It sounds to be one of those that interweaves many lives and tells a beautiful historical story. I saw it on Bookmooch one day and grabbed it up!
Title: We Need to Talk About Kevin
Author: Lionel Shriver
Genre: Contemporary
History Behind My Choice: I don't remember when I heard about this book originally, but it was one of those things that you gain knowledge of, then hear about it everywhere after that. It's like when you learn a new word and you hear it constantly from that moment on. Anyone with me on that? Anyway, this book is about a mother who's son was responsible for a school shooting. Chilling? Yes. Heartbreaking? Yes. I'm going to have to mentally prepare myself for this one!
Title: Ready Player One
Author: Ernest Cline
Genre: Science Fiction/ Dystopian
History Behind My Choice: This book has been HOT in the BookTube community recently. When I saw my favorite BookTuber Priscilla (TheReadables) do a review that said this is an amazing pop culture/ geek book, I knew I had to pick it up. Then when my favorite author, Patrick Rothfus simply stated "This book was f*cking awesome", it was on like Donkey Kong. I finally picked it up one of the times I was at Powell's recently. 
Title: The City of Ember
Author: Jeanne DuPrau
Genre: YA/Dystopian
History Behind My Choice: I saw a review for this book on BookTube, then when I read about it on Goodreads, it sounded like a young adult version of The Passage by Justin Cronin. Yes please.
Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Genre: YA/Dystopian
History Behind My Choice: This was another book that was popular on BookTube a while back and a bookish friend of mine, Bree also recommended it to me. It was a book that I was waiting to drop in price, but after Florida (where I didn't spend very much money) when we went to Powell's, I decided to spring for it as well as previously mentioned Delirium. I'm holding off on reading this until the final book of the trilogy comes out later this year, just incase I want to tear through them like I did with Twilight. 

That's all I have for this week, I hope to get through with Delirium today and have a few other books to talk about by the next time I write! I'm expecting a few more books in the mail this week, so I'll have updates on that as well!




No comments:

Post a Comment