Thursday, September 12, 2013

Slumps.

It's been almost one month since the last time I blogged, but I don't have to tell all of you that. Something strange happened to me about the time we moved which I am fondly thinking of as a life slump. I shirked away from all previously enjoyable activities, becoming overly tired and unenthusiastic about everything. I stopped reading, blogging, exercising, taking Instagram photos, etc. etc! It's been really crazy actually because I can't come up with any valid reason as to why this is happening.

Well last week, I finally took a stand. Nothing changes if nothing changes, right? The first thing I did was call my sponsor (whom I hadn't talked to in over two months). We met up and started going over what I have been experiencing lately. It's hard to clearly explain, but there have been moments when I feel like all I have going on in my head is white noise. My brain feels fuzzy and I've noticed I've started acting out of character- misplacing things, unintentionally throwing things away and not remembering I did it (like our Duck's season tickets), and just finding myself really confused at some points. We talked all this over, and he recommended to me that I make a doctors appointment.

So I did that next. I'll be having my first physical in over 9 years next week (gulp, I know, I haven't had one since high school).

The final change I have made in my life in the past week is going to see a therapist. I think now that I'm two years sober, my head is screwed on a little tighter than it was when I first started the sobriety adventure. I have been hearing about all of these wonderful experiences some of the women in my life are having thanks to seeing a counselor, so I thought, hell, why not me? I've been talking about going to see someone for a while now, like since college, and after watching this TED talk, I knew I had to get my ass in gear.

I'm now in my late twenties and I have that feeling that I've watched my youth pass me by without being an active participant. Up to this point, I haven't worked hard for anything in my life. I don't know how I ended up with a college degree, but by the grace of God, I did. A lot of the time I feel like a ship without a rudder with no clear carved out direction. I'm hoping that by talking to someone who knows more than I do and has an objective view of what I'm going through, she can help give me direction and clarity. More than anything, I'm hoping that she can help me define what I want out of life, and how the hell I'm going to get it, because left up to my own devices, I'm screwed.

I feel that I'm finally to the point where I'm not satisfied with status quo anymore, I'm not satisfied with just having a "good enough job" and having a roof over my head, I want to challenge myself and push myself harder than I ever have before. I want to take the remaining years of my 20's and make up for lost time so to speak. My early 20's are lost to me in a boozy blurry haze and now that I have a handle on sobriety, I feel like I'm finally in a place where I actually can go the extra mile and push myself towards living the good life.

I don't know what this means for me, but I will try to share as many of my adventures, failures, growing points and Aha moments as I possibly can in the future. I'm ready for an exciting ride folks, buckle up!

No comments:

Post a Comment