Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Like Sands Through the Hourglass.

Yesterday was a day of firsts. First sunny day in Astoria of the summer (I wish I was only kind of kidding) and the first time this girl got a power tool in her hands (I have been singing "Janie's Got A Gun" in my head ever since). My father so generously passed down a hand sander to me when I told him I was in the process of learning how to refurbish, which has already come in handy. As I said in my last post, I've been given notice to get going on the patio furniture we acquired, and the first step is done!



I used my sander to knock off all the rust that I could as well as any dirt and loose paint. Yes, she looks horrible still, the worst pictures are yet to come. But on a more positive note, all the surfaces are smooth and ready to get their first coat of spray paint (if it ever stops raining!). We've decided to leave them white, but instead of being a flat white, it's gloss all the way. 

This is where further problem lies though:


Ryan was able to purchase a..saw of some sort off of Craigslist that he claims he will be able to replicate the wood circles with, so that is our next step. If the picture above doesn't give an accurate depiction of what we're working with, this might:


Yes, that green slime at the top is in fact mold. Icky, disgusting mold. But, it shows you that reupholstering the bottoms won't be ALL that difficult. Again, thanks to my dad, I have a staple gun that will come in handy when it comes time to fabric these bad boys up. It appears the sun might be reappearing, so until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment