Sunday, July 8, 2012

Easy Come, Easy Go.

There are many things in life so far that I can say come simply to me. Reading 300+ pages books in a night? Easy. Getting a college degree in the mythical four years? Piece of cake. Finding a job in the "worst economy since the Great Depression" in less than three months after graduation? Child's play. Spray painting metal outdoor furniture? SKREEETCH!!! Those are the proverbial breaks going out.

Now I know I have to give myself some slack here, this was my very first attempt ever. After reading many DIY blogs and watching some very sub-par YouTube videos, I thought I was ready. The main tips handed out are:
  • Spray 8-10" away from the piece of furniture
  • Keep in continuous motion, don't let the spray stay in one spot for too long
  • Multiple light coats are better than drippy heavy coats, so a light mist is recommended
  • Long strokes create more even coverage
Well, again, I have learned about myself that I am results kind of gal, so this idea of a "light mist" wasn't working for me. Not enough instant gratification. Well, this resulted in everything bloggers warn against, drips, rings and uneven coats, basically a disaster. Here's a picture after my first coat (Krylon Primer + Paint in Glossy White):


Note to readers: Though the spider webs do create a wonderfully artistic effect... That wasn't intentional  and is super shoddy! Plus, at this point I ran out of spray paint, one can doesn't go quite as far as I thought it would. A trip to Home Depot was in order. If you wait longer than two hours between coats, you have to end up waiting two days until you can spray again, to let the paint "cure", basically just letting it harden.

Well, after a while, we were ready to roll again. This time I had Ryan on board to show me the basics. He was very good about telling me when I was spraying too close, that I had to move faster and keeping me on track (I was like an ADD child. I would start spraying while looking at another rusty spot, forget what I was supposed to be doing and move spray locations). So without further ado, here is the set in it's newly painted glory!


I know this picture makes it hard to see with the shading and background busyness (the camera died before I could take anymore) but we are really happy with the results! I can't wait to get the seats on there so we can enjoy wonderful sunsets from our deck! Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment