Thursday, June 27, 2013

Text Talk: Week 8

Well folks, my personal productivity level has hit an all time low. I'm on day three of coffee withdrawals, and boy oh boy, it's a doozy. I've been noticing lately that I've become a light sleeping rage-aholic and my only explanation is the amount of coffee I've been drinking. I've never believed it before that coffee is a mind and mood altering drug that is highly addictive, but I'm coming to understand that it's true. There have been so many time in these last few days that I've tried tricking myself into thinking it's okay to just have one cup. The justifying is CRAZY!! But even just after three days of no coffee, I'm sleeping better (as in the deep REM sleep) and I'm slower to react to things that would otherwise annoy me. Thank god, we were venturing into very dangerous territory, like when Ryan was taking Chantex to quit smoking.

All of that aside, I have been able to finish a few books in the last couple of weeks- my reading productivity still holds strong. I'm not going to lie, about a week ago, I had images of grandeur when I was going to partake in a 30 day reading challenge. I failed about four days in. The challenge was to read 300 pages a day (ha) which I changed to fit my lifestyle to 150 pages a day (still ha). One of these days I'll get on reading that much, but for now, I'm averaging about a book a week, sometimes less. Here's what I've been enjoying:

Title: Let the Right One In
Author: John Ajvide Lindqvist
Genre: Horror
Pages: 513

Reaction: I am so confused by this book, even still. I heard that people were saying it was one of the scariest books they've ever read... Nope. It is about a vampire, there are some overly graphic scenes (think Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) and there are some very tense moments, but I was ready to get the bejesus scared out of me. Oh expectations. This was very Swedish noir feeling, with subject matter that was very strange in nature. I don't know that at the end of the book I felt any resolve or real understanding of what I had just read.

Rating: C+

Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Foreman
Genre: Contemporary YA
Pages: 201

Reaction: On average, I don't know what a book is going to be about before I start reading it. I don't like to know, it makes it all the more interesting for me. I had a vague idea this was about a girl who was in an accident, but I didn't expect the sob-fest that ensued.  This was a very touching novel that I liked a lot more than I expected to, it's also ignited a drive in me to read more contemporary YA fiction. There is a second book that I am highly looking forward to reading soon!!

Rating: A-

Title: Ender's Game
Author: Orson Scott Card
Genre: Sci-Fi
Pages: 324

Reaction: I didn't read this book as a child like so many others. At that point, I wasn't into Sci-Fi, it didn't make sense to me. I remember sitting down with The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and being so confused on why so many people loved it. From that point on, I think Sci-Fi was off my list of respected genres, I was a book snob, even back then. But now that I'm a little older and I've seen Tron (and Ender's Game is coming to the big screen this fall), I'm ready to take this book on (Daft Punk plays in my head every time I pick this book up). I'm currently about 40 pages in, so I'll be back with my overall feel of this book later!

Books Added to the Library This Week:

Title: The History of Love
Author: Nicole Krauss
Genre: Contemporary
History Behind My Choice: I'm trying to remember, but I think this was a Goodreads recommendation. I saw it come on Bookmooch one day a few weeks ago and nabbed it without really thinking anything of it. I can't tell you what it's about (see above explanation) but I'm willing to give it a go.
Title: These Hidden Things
Author: Heather Gudenkauf
Genre: Mystery
History Behind My Choice: This was a booktuber recommendation, plus I always love a good mystery. It's not often mysteries center around a young female protagonist, so I had to pick this one up. As I've said before, I grew up on Earl Emerson books, so I'm always looking for something that's going to get my heart racing.
Title: Diamond Ruby
Author: Joseph Wallace
Genre: Historical Fiction
History Behind My Choice: A few months back I watched Field of Dreams again and I fell back in love with the idea of the American Spirit and along with that, the great American Pastime, baseball. I started Google-ing best baseball books, and here we go! This along with The Art of Fielding are what I have added to my collection. I just want to take a minute though to admire the cover of this book. It's a mix of everything Americana + Great Gatsby to some extent. Love.
Title: Alanna
Author: Tamora Pierce
Genre: Fantasy/High Fantasy
History Behind My Choice: I've been meaning to pick up a woman fantasy author for a while now like Ursula K. Le Guin or Tamora Pierce. Sometimes it's hard for me to get beyond the completely ridiculous covers, but this one seemed alright to me. After reading Name of the Wind, I've been wanting to get into another High Fantasy series, so I'm giving this one a try!
Title: The Golden Compass
Author: Phillip Pullman
Genre: Fantasy
History Behind My Choice: Last, but not least, I picked up The Golden Compass. I loved this book growing up, but I gave it away a while back. I have been craving a reread of this book, so when I saw this copy on Bookmooch, I swooped it up!



No comments:

Post a Comment