Saturday, April 6, 2013

Text Talk: Week 3

Well, this week was a test in my will for sticking to my book buying restriction. It was also an epic fail. After having a little slip last week in Chelan when I bought Blood Promise by Richelle Mead, I convinced myself I had to buy books 5 & 6 to round out the series. I finished Blood Promise on Tuesday and had ordered Spirit Bound and Last Sacrifice the same day. For the rest of the week, I was kind of waiting for them to arrive in the mail before starting anything else. By Friday though, neither had darkened my doorstep and I was itching to get started on something new.

Last night I started I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore.


I think I had first heard about this book from one of my favorite YouTube BookTubers, Raeleen where she raved about it. I'm the kind of person who doesn't like to know what a book is about before I start reading it (I only like to know the genre) because I don't want anything to be spoiled or for there to be any expectations. I picked this book up the last time I was in Portland at Powell's. I finished it this afternoon, and I'm still torn on how to rate it. 

I Am Number Four is book that deals with an alien race that lands on earth, fleeing from the destruction and genocide of their own planet and population. It follows a high school boy John, who is "Number Four", one of nine of the alien survivors which are all developing highly useful defensive powers which will help them to return to their planet to rebuild and repopulate. The alien race that had taken over John's planet has come to earth in search of the nine, hell bent on wiping them out forever and also focused on taking over earth for it's abundant natural resources. Battles ensue. 

So I don't know if you guys remember an author named James Frey, but apparently he had a hand in writing this novel under the assumed name "Pittacus Lore". It doesn't really change my thoughts on the book, I still think it was only worth a 2-2.5 rating. I found it to be a quick read, obviously I flew through the 440 pages, but towards the end of the book, I was skimming full paragraphs, not even bothering to read some. The action scenes sucked, too much detail and way too boring, and everything seemed so flimsy throughout the whole book. It wasn't an awful story, I think it could have just been way more effective written differently. I don't think I'll be carrying on with this series. 

Now that brings me to what I will be reading next (or until the rest of the Vampire Academy books get here!!!). I've decided on Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. 


From what I gather about Uglies, it's a coming of age dystopian YA series with an average rating of 3.5 between the ladies I really trust on Goodreads. We shall see how this goes! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment