Monday, April 15, 2013

Text Talk: Week 3

After a wonderful response to my blog on why I got sober, I figured it was time to get back to what's really important in life: books.

It seems like a life time ago, but I finished one book this week and started a second. This week has been a busy one. To mix it up a little bit, I'm going to start adding a section to my weekly book posts titled "books I have broken my ban to acquire", or something to that extent. I always find book hauls extremely entertaining on YouTube, so I figured I might as well start adding what I get on here as well! I mean if I'm getting books, I might as well be honest about my addiction and share the titles with the world, and together, maybe we can overcome this book buying disease.

On to what I read:


Title: Uglies
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Genre: YA/Dystopian
Pages: 425

Reaction: This was an interesting dystopian world that probably could have used a lot more development. It's set in the future in a world where all citizens go through an operation to become "pretty" at the age of 16. Once you are turned pretty, a luxurious, easy lifestyle is what you have to look forward to for the rest of your days. We come to find out through the main character Tally that this life doesn't come without a cost though, and for some, being pretty isn't worth all that you have to give up.

I was intrigued by this book, but that's not to say I was riveted. I gave it a 3.5/5 stars, with the intention to follow up with the next book in the series. From what I can tell, this is a three book series with a companion novel titled "Extras".

Title: Spirit Bound
Author: Richelle Mead
Genre: YA Paranormal
Pages: 489

Reaction (so far): My love for this series has grown from one book to the next. I was so excited to start digging into this book, but so far I'm not totally drawn in. I think that to some extent they all start out slowly with kick ass endings, but this one seems a little repetitive and undeveloped. I'm only on page 163, so I'm hoping it picks up in a little bit. More to be revealed next week!









Books Added to the Library This Week:


Title: Freedom
Author: Jonathan Franzen
Genre: Contemporary/Adult Fiction
Heard About: Initially I had seen this cover somewhere before, but then I watched this YouTube video and thought the book sounded pretty interesting, I'm always down for some American critique.
Acquired From: Goodwill ($2.99) with a left over Christmas gift card my dad gave me!






Title: A Visit From the Goon Squad
Author: Jennifer Egan
Genre: Contemporary/Adult Fiction
Heard About: Goodreads, all of the main book lovers I follow have either marked this book as "To-Read" or have read it and given it 5 stars.
Acquired From: Goodwill ($2.99)!








Title: Under the Tuscan Sun
Author: Frances Mayes
Genre: Travel/Non-Fiction/Memoir
Heard About: I've loved the movie Under the Tuscan Sun forever. It gets me, it inspires me and it shows me growing up doesn't have to be all that bad. I have high hopes for this book despite it's 3.59 rating on Goodreads.
Acquired From: Goodwill ($2.99)!






Title: The Ender's Game
Author: Orson Scott Card
Genre: YA/Science Fiction
Heard About: I think I remember this book from when I was younger, that a lot of the guys were reading it. I never picked it up, but not too long ago after finishing The Giver, I posed a question on Facebook that asked what people's favorite books from their younger days were. My friend Cedric gave me this title and I soon found out it was being made into a movie later this year. Of course I had to pick it up, I usually think the books are far better than the movie adaptations.
Acquired From: Bookmooch (free-ish).

Those are all of the books I have gotten this last week, I'll be sure to keep updating you all on what I'm getting in the future! It's kind of fun and I know for me personally, I love getting new ideas for books I might not have heard about before! Until next time, happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet! Love to hear about new books!! I'm in one of those book reading slums; just finished two of my top five favorite books (The Great Gatsby and Austenland) and once I've read from the top five, it's always hard to find something good enough to follow. I looked up Goon Squad and that sounds really interesting so I think I'll pick that up. Maybe you've mentioned this before, but I'm curious, what's one of your all-time favorite books???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you pose that question, in have two books that I instantly think of. One is an adult historical-fiction/mystery called Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron. It's a delicious story set in 1900's Spain that is about the love of books and the mystery they hold. My second is a high-fantasy titled Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a series that I always hesitate to initially tell people it falls under the "high-fantasy" genre because I worry its going to turn them astray. Honestly I would recommend this series to anyone, I swoon over it. The character development and plot are of such high quality that I'm surprised more people haven't heard about the series. The third and final novel isn't out yet, but the first two are so huge that'd they'd keep you busy a while. I like to think of this series as the adult version of Harry Potter. Let me know if you read any of these!!

      Delete