Sunday, April 21, 2013

Text Talk: Week 4

Okay, okay. Admission: This week my book buying went a little bit out of control. The justification I'm using: Ryan and I are leaving for Orlando on Tuesday and are going to have a lot of time to kill, about 9 hours each way. So obviously I needed to buy books for the plane (as if I don't have a wide enough selection to choose from to begin with). We just so happened to be in Portland yesterday for an appointment I had and I was having no luck clothes shopping, so to brighten my mood, we stopped in Powell's. Thankfully I only had $20 in cash so I was able to limit my spending. But we'll get to what I bought in a minute, for now, here's what I've been reading!

Title: Spirit Bound
Author: Richelle Mead
Genre: YA Paranormal
Pages: 489

Reaction: In my opinion, this was the worst book yet. I gave it a 3/5 stars, for some reason I just couldn't get into it. I think it was a lack of adventure and Richelle Mead playing into some of the typical genre cliches: the helpless girl being torn between two guys. The main character, Rose, up to this point has been a badass ass kicking chick. In this book she turns into an insecure whiny girl that isn't enjoyable to read about. It by no means deterred me from continuing on to the last book.
Title: Last Sacrifice
Author: Richelle Mead
Genre: YA Paranormal
Pages: 594

Reaction: I'm nearly half way through this book and already it's better than it's predecessor. My goal is to have this finished by tomorrow so that I can start my trip to Florida fresh. It's also helpful that this one is addicting and I just can't wait to find out how it all wraps up. This is the last book in the series, although if I need another Vampire Academy fix in the future, there is a companion series titled Bloodlines that I can pick up!







Books Added to the Library This Week:


Title: Safe Haven
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Genre: Adult Contemporary/ Love Story?
Reason: Alright, I've never been one of those girls that swoons over Nicholas Sparks books, or buys tons of romance novels, I prefer paranormal or dystopian any day. But I figured I should give it a shot, plus I found this book in Eugene at Goodwill for $0.49. That price can't be beat for a practically brand new hardcover. I'm sure I'll need to have my tissue box close!
Title: Last Sacrifice
Author: Richelle Mead
Genre: YA Paranormal
Reason: It'd be rude if I didn't. Plus it's the last in the series, see above!!!





Title: Cathedral of the Sea
Author: Ildefonso Falcones
Genre: Historical Fiction
Reason: After reading Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, I was obsessed with anything Spanish and anything deemed historical fiction. On Goodreads, this was one of the books recommended for people who liked that book, so I thought I'd give it a shot. When I saw it on Bookmooch, I had to snatch it up!
Title: The Art of Fielding
Author: Chad Harbach
Genre: Adult Contemporary
Reason: I much prefer the other cover, but I was able to score this one from Powell's for half off the cover price. This book is about America's favorite pastime, baseball. Most of the people I follow on Goodreads that have read this book absolutely loved it, so I thought I would give it a try.
Title: Legend
Author: Marie Lu
Genre: YA Dystopian
Reason: This has been getting rave reviews left and right. All of the people I follow on YouTube have read this and LOVED it! I normally wouldn't buy a book at full price, but something told me I just had to have it. I think this will be coming to Florida with me!!


Title: The Princess Bride
Author: William Goldman
Genre: Fantasy
Reason: So something I had never understood is people's obsession with this movie. Honestly, I tried watching it when I was younger and quit like 20 minutes in. From what I've been reading, it's an amazing, fun adventure which dabbles in the fantasy realm. That just screams my name. I'm excited to give this book a shot and finally watch the movie in whole.
Title: World War Z
Author: Max Brooks
Genre: Zombies (aka Horror)
Reason: Technically, I didn't buy this book, Ryan did. The last time I tried to buy him a book (The Passage by Justin Cronin), it sat on his bedside table for months without being cracked. A year later, he still hasn't read it. That being said, I have no doubt in my mind that this book will soon be mine. We were watching a video the other day talking about the summers biggest blockbusters which included World War Z. Ryan was all amped on wanting to see it, but I told him that unfortunately I wouldn't be able to watch it unless I've read the book first. Everyone knows the books are always better. So I told Ryan that in order to see the movie, he'd just have to buy me the book. Looks like I got my way!!!

I'll be doing some hard decision making this afternoon trying to decide which four books are worthy of traveling cross country with me on Tuesday! I'll keep you all posted!!



No comments:

Post a Comment